Monday, May 29, 2006

That damn wheel

The most exciting day of the holiday. An engineering marvel that IKB would be proud of.

We started in glorious sunshine for our luxurious picnic, well just a corned beef sandwich really.

The old and the new. The wheel replaces 11 of these locks.

Not only do you get to look at the marvel, you get to go through it on this boat.

Goody goody, ready to go.

Excitement rising as we enter the bottom gondola (technical term for the bit at the bottom that lifts you up).

Now isn't that b*****y marvelous. So well balanced it only takes 7 kW to power the wheel (about 2 kettles).

We are up at the top and have now joined the top canal without a drop of water spilt.

A grand view from the top looking forward over the front of the gondola.

Told you we were at the top!



On the way back (luckily not before) the heavens opened and we were forced to rush inside and have afternoon tea (unfortunately not cream).

6 Comments:

Blogger niko-chan said...

gawd blimey, power of the...wheel?

Exciting stuff hey. I bet BM was proper holiday man on that boat ;o)

1:42 am

 
Blogger niko-chan said...

ps: what have you done to your blog? Why is the sidebar at the bottom of the page?

1:44 am

 
Blogger Ma&Pa said...

I don't know what's happened to the side bar. It happened when I put the pictures of Edinburgh on. I downloaded them then tried to move them about. They jumped about all over the place and my comments ended up with the wrong pictures or in black writing (BM says when he looks on his machine it's still at the top so until we get it sorted out he'll have to play with Kitty.)

We need some advanced technical support (Crusty!!!!)or start again with a new Blog. (or leave the side bar at the bottom)

9:27 am

 
Blogger Ma&Pa said...

I use a proper browser, not this MS rubbish - maybe that's the reason mine works.

12:05 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just tried it in Explorer and sure enough the side bar zooms to the bottom - good old MS again

12:25 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I is Dad

12:26 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home